Simplify Client Configuration and Data Access
In 2-3 years time, if not before, most of our valuable knowledge-asset data will be available through a web-based interface. What does this entail:
Please click on the image to the left to see an illustration of this. What does it mean for Data/Information Management, what effect will that have on Architecture, on Client and Network configurations and so on
- It’s the browser environment that need the attention, more so than the client/OS/file environment
- Simplification and less/no focus on the PC client configuration and file-server access => we can get out of the MS trap (if we want)
- Device-independent and OS-independent access, no matter if it’s Windows PC, Mac or Linux, PC, Tablet or mobile phone, you can still access the data and get the job done.
- From print-centric document/file handling to content-centric hyperlinked Information Items
- From PC/Client apps to Web apps
- Are we OK with that? Are they as function-rich and user-friendly as PC apps? (see accompanying presentation made with web app SlideRocket with just as much ease and features as Powerpoint – Yes, it looks like we’re OK.)
- Focus on Web-Oriented Architecture (WOA)
- Simplification and less complex requirements for company-internal Network Configuration (internal network function more like the Internet – serving web-oriented traffic).
- Still need to protect client from mal-ware , also focus on protecting corporate data