Talking together systems – wishlist
People are used to talk together in Web2.0 tools like Facebook and Twitter, and FB, Twitter look-likes are creeping into the organizations on an ad-hoc basis, without really considering the impact, big-picture or wider requirements (f.ex organizational and information management impact). Another consideration is how the consumer/private/social directed Web2.0 fits the corporate paradigm (see: “Why There Is No Facebook For The Enterprise“). That’s why an Enterprise 2.0 (applying web2.0 in the Enterprise) environment should be defined which is not just a copy of the Web2.0 environment (albeit we can learn from each other).
Conversational Data (CD) – talking-together-data is going to be or are already huge. Why? Because emails, chats, phone calls, meetings (formal/informal) are huge. Of course it’s huge, that’s what we do – communicate, without it there’s no organization. Now we are taking this serious , taking active and conscious actions as to how do we handle this wast resource of information – the collective intelligence asset, in a way that meet business objectives and make the knowledge worker within the organization truly effective. We are going from people living in emails, meetings (-inflation) and the like, to people living in the collaborative space with effective on-line conversations/meetings and all information about a case gathered in one place. We are talking about Effective communications to increase the Productivity.
Before we move on, let’s define or talk about a term Intelligence Asset Development (IAD). It is the development of the combined intelligence asset of the organization. We use this term in stead of knowledge management to signify a dynamic, brain-combining, ever-expanding entity, which is the basis of any developing organism. (see: Developing intelligence in the Enterprise 2.0 world)
The organization and the people in it needs this kind of environment for IAD. We have now the unfortunate situation that we need it, but we have not designed an environment for it, and people use the tools at hand, which are not ideal or necessarily created for this purpose. Email is misused as an information carrier and store – doing havoc on the information asset (disperse, split, fragment in stead of gather) – see Information – some guiding principles and definitions – “information should never be carried, only referenced (kept in one place)”. Word documents were never made for collaborative content development. Blogs were made for diary entries and does not allow in-line commenting for enhancing/developing points within the blog in a rich-edit environment (the blogger and the commenter are equal). Micro-Blogs (Twitter) were made for status updates, and does not allow for elaborate intelligence development, and so on.
No, what we need is a combination of blogs, FB, micro-blogs, wikis, discussions and more. Let’s start to define it:
- These talking-together textual data are treated like information items – can be referenced automatically (does have an URL link) down to paragraph level
- These information items do also carry their own access rights, meaning a conversation could contain more for one person than for another depending on access rights, but nevertheless it’s all kept in one container.
- All entries (posts, comments to posts) are treated equal, with the same degree of rich-edit environment and importance (because people and their contributions are regarded equal)
- In-line commenting is a given (with rich-edit), to enhance certain points and carry out sensible intelligence development
- It’s just as important following (getting informed about) a case as following a person
- All our entries (questions, answers, articles, updates, comments, …) shows in an Activity stream
- Cross-space dynamic views (streams) of these data are easily accomplished.
- Presentation/Finds of data on tags, people, time, creators, contributors, content, type of activity, etc.